There once was a time when I flew off the handle on a regular basis. I was tired, stressed and a wee bit unstable. But after a year of therapy, plenty of mistakes and a lot of soul-searching I am finally in a better place mentally and socially. It wasn’t easy to get here and there were plenty of bumps along the way, but the journey has been life-changing.
Over the last year, I have decided that there are five things that I need each and every day to stay sane and stable. I have listed them below (in no particular order, of course).
- COFFEE. Lots and lots of coffee is required. Sometimes I drink it by the gallon. (Like on those days when Ashlyn decides that 5:00 a.m. is a good time to play with Mom.)
- Hugs. I need at least twelve hugs from each of my daughters and my husband each day. It is a way to reconnect with them and remind myself that everything is just the way it should be.
- Laughter. If I laugh on my worst day, then it suddenly isn’t so bad. Laughter is medicine for the heart and soul and my husband is the best doctor to prescribe it.
- Writing and/or Reading. If I am having a moment; then I know I need to write about it. If I can’t think of what to say, then I need to read instead. It’s that simple.
- Meditation. I don’t have hours to meditate each day, but I have five minutes and that’s exactly how long I try to meditate for. It’s not much, but every morning while my coffee is brewing I sit quietly and start the day in a positive state of mind. I remind myself of my intention for the day and connect with the quiet world around me. How do you stay balanced? Please share your thoughts!